Sunday, July 25, 2010

R.I.P. Maggie

Yesterday I put down one of the most compassionate and trusting dogs to ever walk this earth. This post is not about how hard this was, but about what I have learned from this experience.

1. I learned how trusting Maggie was until the end.
2. I learned how a soon to be 9 yr old deals with the death of a pet that has been with her since the day she was born.
3. I learned how much Maggie touched the lives of our friends’ kids. Maggie was such a mellow dog that many of our friends kids learned how gentle dogs could be. She helped many kids over their fears of big dogs.
4. I learned that when I eat I always take bites in a manner that would leave the last bite for Maggie.
5. I learned that I don’t need to do this anymore.
6. I learned how strong my wife and daughter are in the face of a tough situation.
7. I learned that no matter how much I thought I was in control of the house that I was in fact last, behind Sydney, Maggie and Linda.
8. I learned how different it is to come home and not be greeted by all her excitement.
9. I learned how compassionate the vets are when they deliver bad news.
10. I learned that no matter how well you think you are prepared for this…you are not!

4 comments:

  1. sorry for your loss - we had to put a favorite family dog down and it is not easy, the problem is I don't even like animals (shame on me). Hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about Maggie. I am a dog lover, they are such wonderful friends and a part of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry Jasson. It's really hard.

    I like #5. You got that right, Dude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jason, I am so sorry to hear about Maggie...she was such a wonderful dog, she will be missed by all.

    Travis Stein

    ReplyDelete