Sunday, January 31, 2010

6th Grade

Last Wednesday we heard from the administration regarding a potential change in 6th grade programming and possibly having the Monona 6th grade attend Glacial Drumlin.  This is a 2 pronged issue.  First, does the district want our 6th grade to be an elementary or middle school program?  Second, should they attend the same school or keep the status quo?


In the course of the discussion it became clear that this is an issue that internally the administration has had some discussion on.  Do they have a recommendation?  I am not sure if they have a recommendation, but I think they have preliminary thoughts on this issue.

Personnally, I like the idea of 6th grade being a middle school program.  Additionally, if there is little to no impact on having the entire 6th grade in one building then I think that is a reasonable consideration that should be discussed.  I understand that this may not be a popular decision, based on referendum voting, but if this makes for the best environment for ALL STUDENTS to learn in and is recommended by the administration then the board will have to give it strong consideration.

Right now I am not convinced we need to have all 6th graders in one building, but like many topics we are discussing it may come down to finances.  If there is a savings and little impact on learning then I could support it.  If there is a savings, but a significant impact on learning then I have a harder time with consolidating the 6th grade into one building.

No comments:

Post a Comment