Friday, September 25, 2009

Norton Resignation

When I first heard about Mr. Norton's resignation my first reaction was shock. Secondly, I wondered if someone in his family was ill, because of the "significant personal reasons" stated in the article. Now that appears not to be the case.

I will state that I am disappointed that Mr. Norton will be unable to serve the entire term, but I also understand that circumstances change. Above all else Mr. Norton MUST do what is best for him and his family.

Scott, I wish you well in your future endeavors.

The name of this post will link you to the Herald Independent story on Mr. Norton's resignation.

Where does that leave the Village of CG and the trustees? Well we need an individual to fill this role of leading us as there are some very significant issues coming down the pipe. Does this individual serve the remainder of the term or just until a special election? On that I see both sides and at this point I don't have a strong opinion either way. My gut tends to lead towards the thought that it is an elected position, so hold a special election. However, the thought of potentially having 3 Village Presidents in 12 months is extremely unusual and rare.

Do we appoint a current trustee to the Village President position and then hold a special election for that seat in April? This scenario seems to work on many fronts. As my personal experience has shown me, the learning curve when getting into Village office or School Board is steep. It may work better to "promote" a trustee, even if they only have 5 or 6 months experience, and then elect another person into that trustees position.

I will follow this intently as I am curious how this will play out.

2 comments:

  1. Norton is moving to Florida, but he still hasn't returned our calls as to why he is abruptly moving his family and resigning...

    There is some misinformation out in the community as to what options the board has to replace him.

    We wrote an editorial this week explaining ALL the options and why the board needs to take a deep breath before they appoints someone for the majority of the term (ending in April 2011).

    The editorial can be found at: http://herald-independent.com/main.asp?SectionID=5&SubSectionID=5&ArticleID=1233

    We will have additional coverage following the October 5 board meeting.

    -Adam Mella
    Managing Editor, THI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam,

    Thanks for the follow up. I hope everyone takes a moment to read the editorial.

    ReplyDelete